Saturday, June 20, 2009

I have a dream for Nigeria

We don’t have to wallow in the valley of despair, I say to you today, friends.
And so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the Nigerian dream.

I have a dream that one day this nation Nigeria will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: “we hold these truths to be self – evident, that all men are created equal”.

I have a dream that one day, the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into a oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream today!....

I have a dream that my two unborn children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

What does it take to dream, who is a dreamer and at what cost must one go to achieve a dream? These questions have consistently troubled my mind for as far as I can remember. My role model is Martin Luther King Jr., the American civil rights leader who dared to dream, who dared to believe and dared to give the ultimate price. When he died a lot of people thought he had died in vain but the blood that he shed helped to water a seed called Barrack Obama and the dream of a man though dead brought the dreams and aspirations of a race alive.

What is my business with American and their dream, right? Well, it is Nigeria again o! through out the last few months all I read in the print and electronic media were all negative stories about the largest black nation and it people. From Ekiti and their re-election rerun, to the deportation of Dan Foster a man who has given this country so much to be proud of.

The news just kept hitting and jolting me and I was forced to ask, HABA! What is the problem with our nation? Have we totally lost hope and the dream for a brighter tomorrow for our children? Have we suddenly become birds with broken wings for a philosopher once opined, “ if dreams die, we become birds with broken wings”.

When did it become so bad? When did we lost faith in our dear nation Nigeria? When did we suddenly become corpses walking without hopes for a better tomorrow?

We should stop acting like alcoholics who take alcohols to escape problems knowing fully well that when the effect of the alcohol clears, the problem still persist.

I think that instead of re-brand we should be re-dreaming. Yes! Re-dreaming about a greater tomorrow for our nation, a future that will be favourable to all irrespective of tribe or tongue, as for me I have a dream like Martin Luther King Jr.

As for me I have a dream that Nigeria will host the world cup.
I have a dream that one day Siasia will train the super eagles and win the world cup.
I have a dream that one day journalists will not be attacked and beaten during election.
I have a dream that one day there will be lecture halls in the University of
Abuja.
I have a dream that one day we wont have to settle alleged fraud in courts again but in the shrine of Ogun the god of Iron who will deal decisively with the culprit.
I have a dream that soon Nigeria will trust the Inspector General of Police and his boys.
I have a dream that one day police men won’t collect the usual green note.
I have a dream that one day Abero will wear suits.
I have a dream that one day there will be flying boats in Lagos for transportation.
I have a dream that one day Molues will disappear from Lagos.
I have a dream that rents in Abuja will reduce to what average Nigerians can afford.
I have a dream that one day Landlords in Nigeria won’t collect two years rent.
I have a dream that one day Agege bread will be cheaper than pure water.
I have a dream that one day elections in Nigeria will not be rigged.
I have a dream that one day a woman will become the Governor of the Central Bank.
I have a dream that one day a comedian will become the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
I have a dream that one day respected big men wont fight and affect shareholders profit.
I have a dream that one day profit making wont drag down market indices down in Nigeria.
I have a dream that my children will be so proud of Nigeria, I will not have to send them broad f or education.

I have some many dreams for our great nations that I can go on and on otherwise I will just be sleeping and achieve nothing. The first step to achieve our potentials as a people is to wake up and work. NIGERIANS… It’s not yes! We can! It must be… YES! WE WILL.

No comments:

Post a Comment